Profile: Oakey's Roanoke Chapel
In 1937, Oakey’s constructed a $150,000 location at 318 West Church Avenue and moved from the 100 Block of West Campbell Avenue. A crowd of 16,000 attended the opening ceremonies during the first week of March, 1938. Oakey’s on Church Avenue is a fitting memorial to the founder and his principles. The structure, with connecting office quarters represented a new era in funeral service. Its architectural design, room arrangement and equipment are the result of a careful study of the needs of the business and the community served. The thought of a new building naturally had been considered for some years. Samuel G. Oakey, in his travels about the country had availed himself of leaders and pioneers in the profession. With the advent of chapel funerals (as opposed to funerals at a family’s home), the chapel at the new Church Avenue location was designed to seat 200, with overflow allowing double that number. Directly over the chapel, a spacious casket selection room contains thirty units.
Contact Oakey's Roanoke Chapel
Nearby Places of Worship
Map: 318 Church Avenue SW, Roanoke, Virginia
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Sorry, unable to load the Maps API.